hiteksoftware.com Forum Index hiteksoftware.com
User discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chain task repeatedly exits after exactly 5 min but TWT = 0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Task Sequences, Chains and Scripts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattHadley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Chain task repeatedly exits after exactly 5 min but TWT = 0 Reply with quote

I have a chain task that copies a file, from one computer to another, and then moves the original file to a done subfolder. As long as the files are small, everything is OK. If the file is large enough to take more than 5 minutes to copy, the copy task, within the chain, times out, the move task excutes, and the chain completes prematurely.

The trouble is, the original file is left where it started (because it is still in use when the move task executes) and the copy process repeats itself in an endless loop.

The Task Wait Time is set to 0 in under the Engine menu option. If I understand that correctly, the task should thus wait forever to complete.

It happened under version 7.28. I patched to the most recent version but the problem did not resolve itself. I did not expect it to, either, since the patch notes did not suggest a bug fix. Is it a bug or am I missing something?

Here is a partial copy of the task log:

Chain - MPH-TestLargeFile - Manual Run
Nov 28, 2007 2:48:44 PM
Chain - MPH-TestLargeFile - Start Instance = 27
Nov 28, 2007 2:48:44 PM
Step = 1 : Run = 1 : Copy Files : MPH-TestCopy
Nov 28, 2007 2:53:44 PM
Copy Files : MPH-TestCopy : exit code = 102
Causes for Exit Code 102 : 1) Task did not finish after maximum wait time, or 2) Task failed to start (and returned immediately)
Step = 2 : Run = 1 : Copy Files : MPH-TestMove
Copy Files : MPH-TestMove : exit code = 1
Chain - MPH-TestLargeFile - End Instance = 27 , Exit Code = 0 , Runtime (ms) = 300191
Nov 28, 2007 3:39:52 PM
Chain - MPH-TestLargeFile - Manual Run
Chain - MPH-TestLargeFile - Start Instance = 28
Step = 1 : Run = 1 : Copy Files : MPH-TestCopy
Nov 28, 2007 3:44:52 PM
Copy Files : MPH-TestCopy : exit code = 102
Causes for Exit Code 102 : 1) Task did not finish after maximum wait time, or 2) Task failed to start (and returned immediately)
Step = 2 : Run = 1 : Copy Files : MPH-TestMove
Copy Files : MPH-TestMove : exit code = 1
Chain - MPH-TestLargeFile - End Instance = 28 , Exit Code = 0 , Runtime (ms) = 300238
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your copy task, you could try to use the option to copy files older than 10 minutes.. this way it will ignore files being processed and get them in the next scheduled run.
MattHadley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

Thanks for the reply but that would preven the copy task from starting the original copy for 10 minutes. The file, upon arrival, would be 0 minutes old. 10 minutes later the copy process would begin. 5 minutes thereafter, the task would terminate (as noted previously), and the problem would arise.

That said, it would be most helpful to find out how why setting the time to wait to 0 doesn't work as stated: to wait forever.

What happens is: after the five minute time out, the move archive task, second in the chain, begins and copies the file to the done folder. But, because the original file is still being copied by the first Automize task (it actually didn't abort) the file cannot be moved. Thus the original file remains in the hot folder. That makes the file suceptible to being copied again ... creating the opportunity for an endless loop.

At this point, I suspect this problem is a bug.

Matt
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think there is an issue with the 0 = wait forever issue, or it would have been reported many times. But I will test and check that it is working fine in the latest version.

What is the time period between your loops?
MattHadley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The task is run once a minute but I don't allow overlapping instances and no waits. I'll be glad to e-mail screen shots or details.

In the sample I posted in the original message above, I ran it twice manually so that I could rule out the risk of a second instance overlapping the first.

Thanks,
Matt
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I meant within the chain step.

Is the copy task wait time set to be 5 minutes or if the task is looping within the chain, is the time period 5 minutes?
MattHadley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

Thanks! My fault. I did not realize that, adding a task to a chain, included a default wait time of 5 minutes. I checked the chain task and sure enough, both tasks, within it, had a 5 minute time out. Tomorrow, I'll change the time out to 0, for the copy task in the chain, and rerun my test.

I am expecting that to solve my problem. That said, the only bug to note in this message thread is the one in my brain that kept me from seeing that setting.

Thanks again for your help. I learned something today.

Regards,
Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Task Sequences, Chains and Scripts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: