hiteksoftware.com Forum Index hiteksoftware.com
User discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

command-line variables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadsan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: command-line variables Reply with quote

hi
I'm just playing around with the free trial version and if i can get this to work I'll defiantly be buying it.

Here what I'd like to happen. I'm setting up a render farm for the company i work for but like everything if it can run automatically it would be great.

What I'm hoping will happen is, people drop their zip folders onto my FTP site. This is then moved from my FTP account to my systems. Where it's unzipped and the .max file is ran.

The unzipping was easy to figure out. I've not really looked at the FTP part but i imagine this is to hard but as for the running of 3ds max i can't get it to work.

I can render from the command line by entering the following: “c:\program files\autodesk\[program folder name]\3dsmaxcmd” “c:\program files\autodesk\[program folder name]\scenes\myscene.max” and press Enter.

(I can open the .exe program easily but not sure on anything else)

But i don't know how to set this up with Automize, if anyone's got any ideas that would be great
Cheers
Si

Last edited by sadsan on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
sadsan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add a little bit more!!! I've be doing some reading and i think the best solution is when Automize unzips the files i need it to input this into the command point

“c:\program files\autodesk\3ds Max 2010\3dsmaxcmd” -submit “c:\program files\autodesk\Files from FTP\scenes\---------------.max”

---------------.max” this would be the max file name. (this would be different each time)

Can Automize pick up on the max file name and input it where needed and when execute the command?????

3dsmaxcmd takes care of the rest!!!
sadsan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolol right sorted that out!!!! all it took was the command line task Very Happy

next task setting up a variable for the name of the max file???? this i have no idea !!
sadsan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right I'm going on a bit but i do think i need help with this one!!

So far I've got a unzip archive task running when a zip file is drop into c:\wise rebel\test\ it unzip the contents into the test folder

then a command line task is running that's looking in the test folder for a .max file

It looks like this

“c:\program files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\3dsmaxcmd” -submit “c:\wise rebel\test\teapot.max”

This opens up max and runs the teapot file. PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT.................................................

There's are two variables I would like to set up but i have no idea how!!!

1. I'd want the unzip archive task to unzip the zip files into a folder by time and date, which is easy. But I then need a variable that tells the command line task what folder to look in???

2. The .max file could be called anything is there a way for Automize to look up the .max file name and input that into the command line text?
BUT the two variables have to be linked so it always looking at the right file with the right .max file!!

This part of the command line text is always the same

“c:\program files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\3dsmaxcmd” -submit

But the second part would have to change

“c:\wise rebel\(variable) \(variable).max”

I hope this makes sense!!

Any help would be great!!

Simon!
melvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The unzip task does not have an 'ExtractDirectory' variable. We have added this variable into 8.25 to be released next week.
2) You should then be able to directly access this variable value.
3) To get the yyy.max filename, you may have to run a filemonitor task and get that filename. Then use the variable of the filemonitor task in the commandline ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: