hiteksoftware.com Forum Index hiteksoftware.com
User discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confusion about keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcatmull@scripnet.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Confusion about keys Reply with quote

*** NEWBIE ALERT ***

I am attempting to use the PGP task. When I do it manually (i.e., PGP Desktop), I am able to put both the sender's public key and our private key. This allows me store a single file.

I don't seem to be able to do this using Automize.

Please help.
melvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to Encrypt or decrypt or [decrypt and verify]?

Do you want to decrypt files that the sender has encrypted and sent you?
If yes, then that file has to be encrypted with YOUR public key which you have sent to the Sender. You would use your own Private key to decrypt the file.

If the sender has encrypted and signed.. It means sender encrypted using your public key and signed using senders private key. To decrypt such a file, you would need:
your private key to decrypt
and
senders public key to verify
To do this, you would create a decrypt and verify profile..
mcatmull@scripnet.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how much this changes your reply, but I am attempting to ENCRYPT a file to someone. When we use PGP Desktop, I encrypt using both the receipient's PUBLIC key and I think our PRIVATE key.

Now I have a PGP file that I can DECRYPT using our key and I don't need to store the original file.

Does this help? If you know where I can get a tutorial and not bother you please let me know.

Thanks, Mike
melvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To encrypt a file that you want to send to someone, you should encrypt it with the Recipients public key . Use Encryption profile (needs recipients public key only) and encryption task. Then email/ftp etc.. the file to the recipient. Only the recipient can decrypt this file using his private key. Normally, this is sufficient for majority of the uses.

However, if the recipient also wants to verify that the file was sent by you and not by someone else.. then you should also sign the file. In this case, use the "Encrypt and Sign" profile. Here you have to enter Recipients public key and Sender (your) private key. The encrypt and sign is done automatically within the same task .

The online demo:
http://www.hiteksoftware.com/demo/pgpkey_encryption_mixed.html

tutorials:
http://gdp.globus.org/gt4-tutorial/multiplehtml/ch09s02.html
http://gdp.globus.org/gt4-tutorial/multiplehtml/ch09s03.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: