hiteksoftware.com Forum Index hiteksoftware.com
User discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File Monitor task - File In Use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gangeyan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: File Monitor task - File In Use Reply with quote

Hi

I am new to Automise and currently evaluating the product for our company. I am trailing version 9.02.

I am trying to use the "File In Use" feature in File Monitor / FTP Monitor tasks. I could not see the option in the task defintion. I am trying to follow the help but couldn't get to it. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Pls see below the text from the help

thanks
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Often a file that needs to be Ftp or copied is currently in the midst of being created or written to by some other process.  Copying or transferring the partial file is not desirable.  This feature allows the certain tasks like the File Monitor task to 'ignore files that are detected as being in use'.  Hence this feature (module) is called only if you select the 'ignore if file is in use' option within the tasks. 
This feature is not guaranteed to work on all operating systems and processes. You should test whether the write check, property change check, or rename check option works best for your operating system and process.
1) Write check
If you select this option, an attempt will be made to open a write connection to the file (write nothing to the end of the file and close file).  If the connection fails, the file is assumed to be in use.  Not all Operating systems automatically lock the files once a process is writing to the file.  Once a file is being written to on windows, generally other processes are not allow to write to it.  This option was tested to work correctly on windows 2000.  However, on many unix systems, this option may not work.
2) Property Change check
This option monitors the Files size and modified date every second for the test time entered.  Some operating systems will set the file size as the expected final file size even though its size is clearly changing with time.  Same with the File modified date.  On some operating systems the file modified date will be set as the creation date initially.  Once the file is written to, its modified date may be reset.  Hence it is likely that neither file size changes or date modified changes may be detectable.  Hence this option is not guaranteed to work on all operating systems.
3) Rename Check
If you select this option, an attempt will be made to rename the file.  If the file can be renamed, it is assumed that it is not in use.   This option has been tested on windows 2000 only.
melvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 9.x, you can use the 'File Directory Properties' task. This task provides variables like "CanRead", "CanWrite", "CanExecute". CanWrite should be used as a test for "in use" in certain OS.

The 'File In Use' feature was tested but never implemented into the software, because it is fairly impossible to determine "file in use' over different platforms. Not sure how you saw the documentation for it. It's help may have been inadvertently left in the 9.x help folder.
gangeyan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melvin

Thanks for the reply.

The 'File Directory Properties' task will help us test 'in use' in file system.

Is there any way to test 'in use' over FTP. I need a way to check whether the file transfer is complated before issuing 'GET' command on a FTP server.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no.. not with Ftp. we will see if we can add a ftp properties task, or if ftp provides this information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: