hiteksoftware.com Forum Index hiteksoftware.com
User discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Success and Failure return codes from UNIX shell scripts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SysArch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Success and Failure return codes from UNIX shell scripts Reply with quote

Hi. I was wondering how I can I have Automize kick off a shell script in the AIX UNIX environment, and have Automize process the next task in the schedule based off of a defined return code in the script. In other words, how can "I" tell Automize that the shell script has either succeeded or failed based on conditions or logic that I set forth in the shell script. Thanks in advance for your help!
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, there is a task sequence task that can run 2 tasks in sequence . the second one can run only if exit code= 0 etc..

you would have to 3 tasks.. one command task for each script and the task sequence task to run the 2 tasks.
SysArch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Success and Failure return codes from UNIX shell scripts Reply with quote

"the second one can run only if exit code= 0 etc.. "

My question was how exactly do you go about setting the exit code in the shell script so that "I" can define the success or failure of my script rather than UNIX? Thanks.
melvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the programming manual. there is normally a function to set the exit code.
In windows batch files , it is
SET ERRORLEV = 1
In unix sh scripts, it is
exit 1
SysArch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Success and Failure return codes from UNIX shell scripts Reply with quote

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: