hiteksoftware.com Forum Index hiteksoftware.com
User discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File contention

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randyreid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: File contention Reply with quote

I am using a Directory Loop to poll for new files in a FTP upload directory every second and then copy/move the files to other directories. I need to ensure that the files are completely uploaded by the FTP client before I attempt to copy/move them. I have a requirement to copy/move as soon as they are uploaded and can not look for files that are older than 5+ minutes to ensure they are completely uploaded. Any suggestions?
melvin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) It will be very unreliable to wait for only 1-10 seconds etc.. i.e. you risk copying a partially transferred file. The best you can do is try the option "if file timestamp is older than 1 minute".

2) On the other hand if you try a move (rather than copy), it may give an error since the file is in use. then you could retry immediately in a chain. you will just have to experiment and see what works best.

3) How big are these files? how long do they take to Ftp transfer completely?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: