hiteksoftware.com Forum Index hiteksoftware.com
User discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can not edit chains created from CLM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VincentMagnotta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Can not edit chains created from CLM Reply with quote

I used the CLM to add a bunch of chains to task list. No errors show up and the parameters show up in clm list::myChainName.

However, when if I click Edit on the chains I get a blank screen Inone of the controls show up except the save button). Other chains can be editted but none of the new ones. This is probably data related but I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing and fixing it.

Any help you can lend would be appreciated since right now I'm totally stuck.

Sad
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

post the result of clm list::myChainName here. maybe we can see something.
VincentMagnotta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: clm list output Reply with quote

Code:

clm "add::Task.TASK_TYPE=TaskTypes.CHAIN|*|Task.TASK_TITLE=Chain_9CRDSecExtract|*|Task.PARAMETERS1=3|*|Task.PARAMETERS2=TaskTypes.WINCOMMAND|#|9CRDSecExtract|#|60|#|true|#|<|#|21|#|Copy_9CRDSecExtract|#|false|#||*|Task.PARAMETERS3=false|*|Task.PARAMETERS4=1|*|Task.PARAMETERS5=true"
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the format that is needed in 8.x. Task.PARAMETERS2 is the critical one..
problems with your command:

1) there should be 3 steps since Task.PARAMETERS1=3 in your case. you have only 2 steps listed in Task.PARAMETERS2.

2) Task.PARAMETERS2 is formatted wrong.
a) each steps settings are separated by |#|.. make sure to use the correct number of |#| here
b) between each step the separator is |@|

below is example to use with 2 steps in chain:

clm "add::Task.TASK_TYPE=TaskTypes.CHAIN|*|Task.TASK_TITLE=testnotify|*|Task.PAR
AMETERS1=2|*|Task.PARAMETERS2=TaskTypes.ALARM|#|alarm|#|5|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|100|
#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|false|#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||@|TaskTypes.ALARM
|#|alarm11|#|5|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|100|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|false|#||#||#||#
||#||#||#||#||#||#||@||*|Task.PARAMETERS3=true|*|Task.PARAMETERS4=1|*|Task.PARAM
ETERS5=true"
VincentMagnotta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: nope worse Reply with quote

Here's the line that was supposed to create that item. There ARE 3 tasks but it's not keeping all of them. Do I have a typo?

Code:

call clm "add::Task.TASK_TYPE=TaskTypes.CHAIN|*|Task.TASK_TITLE=Chain_9CRDSecExtract|*|Task.PARAMETERS1=3|*|Task.PARAMETERS2=TaskTypes.WINCOMMAND|#|9CRDSecExtract|#|60|#|true|#|<|#|21|#|Copy_9CRDSecExtract|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|false|#|true|#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||@|TaskTypes.EMAIL|#|Notify_9CRDSecExtract|#|5|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|100|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|true|#|true|#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||@|TaskTypes.COPY|#|Copy_9CRDSecExtract|#|15|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|100|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|false|#|true|#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||@||*|Task.PARAMETERS3=false|*|Task.PARAMETERS4=1|*|Task.PARAMETERS5=true"
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what the problem is. It could be the emulator but we will look into it. If you are using 8.21, you can use the addprop function to change the task parameter:
assuming your task is located in the root tasks folder, use:

clm "addprop::data\tasks\Chain_9CRDSecExtract|*|Task.PARAMETERS2|*|TaskTypes.WINCOMMAND|#|9CRDSecExtract|#|60|#|true|#|<|#|21|#|Copy_9CRDSecExtract|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|false|#|true|#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||@|TaskTypes.EMAIL|#|Notify_9CRDSecExtract|#|5|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|100|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|true|#|true|#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||@|TaskTypes.COPY|#|Copy_9CRDSecExtract|#|15|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|100|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|false|#|true|#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||@|"
VincentMagnotta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: CLM issues continue Reply with quote

No variant on this command line will correctly "add" the chain tasks!

It always produces the partial chain. Whether I use a |#| after the last item in the chain or not it never gets to the third task. I'm using 8.21 now. is it just broken? I have hundreds of tasks to add and the CLM doesn't do chains correctly if one follows the doco.

here's the current version

Code:

clm "add::Task.TASK_TYPE=TaskTypes.CHAIN|*|Task.TASK_TITLE=Chain_9CRDSecExtract|*|Task.PARAMETERS1=3|*|Task.PARAMETERS2=TaskTypes.WINCOMMAND|#|9CRDSecExtract|#|60|#|true|#|<|#|21|#|Copy_9CRDSecExtract|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|false|@|TaskTypes.EMAIL|#|Notify_9CRDSecExtract|#|5|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|100|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|true|@|TaskTypes.COPY|#|Copy_9CRDSecExtract|#|15|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|100|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|false|@||*|Task.PARAMETERS3=false|*|Task.PARAMETERS4=1|*|Task.PARAMETERS5=true"
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the addprop function also fails?

clm "addprop::data\tasks\Chain_9CRDSecExtract|*|Task.PARAMETERS2|*|TaskTypes.WINCOMMAND|#|9CRDSecExtract|#|60|#|true|#|<|#|21|#|Copy_9CRDSecExtract|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|false|#|true|#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||@|TaskTypes.EMAIL|#|Notify_9CRDSecExtract|#|5|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|100|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|true|#|true|#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||@|TaskTypes.COPY|#|Copy_9CRDSecExtract|#|15|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|100|#|false|#|=|#|0|#|10|#|5|#|false|#|true|#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||#||@|"
VincentMagnotta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Addprop works Reply with quote

So, addprop works.

It's kind of a kludge though since I have to create many wrong tasks just to then fix them all. Still more code generation Sad . I guess I'll proceed with that since I'm on a deadline. Any chance of this getting fixed soon?

Idea
OTOH, maybe it's time for you guys to switch to something like XML. Ready APIs, parsers, and generators, validatable input and less of this weirdness.
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) we use property files to store data. they are simpler than xml and have inbuilt library to store/retreive data. Take a look at the individual task or settings files in the data/tasks or data/settings folder. They are simple text files editable by notepad.

2) there is no simple way to pass multiple parameters via the commandline. you have to use arguments or separators.. we use complex separators since some parameters may include spaces which mess up arguments or some parameters may include a simple separator

3) most commandline tools provide interactive prompts. so for a single chain task with 3 steps you would probably need about 30 entries using the standard method Very Happy

4) suggestion: if you have many chains, create them on your local system using a GUI. then FTP or remote copy all the task files from local system data/tasks folder to the remote system data/tasks folder..
VincentMagnotta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Defeating the purpose Reply with quote

1)XML et al have lots of ready code including the java runtime's built in support. It supports XML no less than it supports properties at this point. Also, you're representing hierarchical data in a flat file, especialy when we're talking about chains. Properties flatten everything or force contrived formats like the current approach to chains. Other MLs have implicit support for hierarchy and trees.

2)There is no simple way, agreed. That said, the current approach fails since it is apparently too difficult to correctly parse and validate input and has been wrong for ages. If even you guys can't get it, what are the odds that we'll be able to, since we're even less familiar.

3)One thing that could alleviate a lot of this would be to be able to give it a file worth of preformatted input. This would also help avoid the mess caused by the fact that $, *, |, and % are special symbols to most unix shells and the windows command prompt. One of the reasons to use the clm is to generate a lot of the input and IN THEORY have a validated matching task appear on the other end.

4)If I wanted to use the UI to generate tasks (it's REALLY slow and klunky to make minor changes and substitutions) then I wouldn't even bother with the CLM. I have not less than 500 tasks (including chains) to create from a set of templates. So, i wanted to script and generate them. The only way to handle this in automize is to use the CLM or generate "backup files" and restore them (which is not really a supported method anyway).

Smile
VincentMagnotta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Add Chain vs addprop Reply with quote

The core issue here has still not been fixed:

using add to create a chain ends up creating a chain that is not usable or readable by automize until I addprop in a fix. This means clm can produce data that Automize can't use. Any chance of getting this fixed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: