hiteksoftware.com Forum Index hiteksoftware.com
User discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Feature Needed. Detecting any new file on ftp server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMonitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: New Feature Needed. Detecting any new file on ftp server Reply with quote

Greetings,

I am currently looking badly for a feature which I haven't seen in any ftp program, yet.

The feature is about detecting any new file(s) on the ftp server (parent and sub-directories) and download it/them (automatically or prompting the user),

I read that such feature hasn't been invented due to the problems of the detection occurring when the file starts to upload, which makes the download process, especially if the download is faster than the upload -which usually is-, quite difficult.

I am in so much need of this feature. I am not able to sit here for hours refreshing the ftp server every 2 minutes to see if there are new files to download them.

Life is all about productivity and time is money!

Please, reply ASAP. I hope this feature can be done using the tasks (which I happen not to understand yet lol). If so, please inform me how to do it.

Yes, my dear supportman, I know it is a pain the neck, but I really need it.

Thank you very much.

Michael

Notice: The new uploaded file is not known to me, not even the name, the extension, or the size. The detection must occur when ANY change occurs in the remote location (parents and sub).
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the inbuilt Ftp task. select options:
GET
Include subdirectories (advanced tab)
Maintain timestamp (advanced tab)

then schedule this task to run every 5 minutes. if a new file is found, it will be downloaded.
TheMonitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Ok... Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, it worked. Thank you.
But, I'm facing an expected problem. The problem is that the task starts to download as soon as the file is uploaded (still not completely up though), which causes incomplete downloads of the full-sized file.

How can I solve this?

And...
What if the ftp server's clock is about 4 minutes ahead of my computer's clock? What should I do?

Thanks a lot, again.
Robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) in advanced tab, select option:
transfer if modified date is older than X minutes. this prevents file from transferring if it is in midst of being uploaded.
if files take 0-1 minutes to upload, use X = 5..
if files take 2-5 minutes to upload, use X = 15..

2) if ftp server time is off by 4 minutes, using large enough value of X in 1) above will account for it.

3) otherwise, you can also select option to:
transfer modified files. Ftp Server time offset = 4
(or -4.. you will have to experiment..)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hiteksoftware.com Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: