Email for each Ftp step in Task Sequence

Discuss Task Sequences and Scripting related issues.

Email for each Ftp step in Task Sequence

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:02 pm

User Question:
I have a question about chains and exit codes. I need to setup email notifications for many FTP jobs in many existing chains. I have looked at the documentation and I've used the program for a long time but it does not make sense. I have an existing chain with 4 ftp tasks. I want to receive an email for each task only if that task fails. I want all 4 ftp task to run even if the first one fails. I can create an email task for each ftp job but where do I put them in the chain? If I place the email notification for the first ftp job at step 2, how will I skip step 2 if the first ftp job is successful? If I place the email notification for the first ftp job at step 5, how will I go back to the second ftp job? If I was programming it I would just do If Then Else. Am I overthinking this?
Jamie
Site Admin

Re: Email for each Ftp step in Task Sequence

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:03 pm

1) You could try and use the Email Notification feature instead of creating separate email tasks for every ftp task. Create an email notification profile. In the Task List, use the adjacent button to add all the Ftp tasks you need to be notified for.

2) For the task sequence, you could have 4 Ftp + 4 Email tasks as follows.
Ftp1 - Select option to skip to step Ftp2 if exit code <=0
Email1
Ftp2 - Select option to skip to step Ftp3 if exit code <=0
Email2
Ftp3...
Jamie
Site Admin

Re: Email for each Ftp step in Task Sequence

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:03 pm

User Response:
Thanks. Yes now I see. Use the success return code to jump the email step, not the failure return code. Thanks for the help and thanks for the quick reply. Still love the program!
Jamie
Site Admin

Return to Task Sequences, Chains and Scripts