gpg: can't handle this ambiguous signature data

Discuss encryption/decryption issues

Postby melvin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:06 pm

I'm evaluating Automize Enterprise and I have installed a trial copy of the latest version. I have configured a decryption task to run every 5 seconds and enabled the deletion of source file. Currently, I have tested with our counter-part whom uses McAfee E-Business Server v8.6.0, and we are facing an issue whereby the decryption task did not complete properly, there was a resultant decrypted file but the source file was not deleted, hence causing the decryption task to go into a loop.

There were some gpg errors in the tasklog which goes like "gpg: can't handle this ambiguous signature data" &
"gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected"

One point to take note is, the source file at my counter-part's end is an empty file, and when decrypted using Automize, the decrypted should be an empty file, i.e. a file with no contents. This is a real use-case and it is not unusual that an empty file needs to be encrypted and subsequently decrypted. There are no decryption issues when the source files contained some contents.

Separately, I have also tested encrypting an empty file to my own public key via Automize and successfully decrypted the file via Automize too.

May I check if the incompatibility with McAfee E-Business Server v8.6.0 is causing this issue?

I have also attached the zipfile generated from Automize for your reference.
melvin
Site Admin

Re: gpg: can't handle this ambiguous signature data

Postby melvin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:07 pm

Apr 21, 2015 9:53:08 AM
gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID 111111E
gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID EE33333F, created 2015-04-16
"........ <....@xyz.com.sg>"
gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected

1) It looks like the File was Encrypted with an El Gamal key, and signed with a RSA key.
So, you should use the Decrypt and Verify profile.
Decrypt with the private key, and verify with the public key

2) The source file is only deleted if the decryption is successful. Since the decryption is failing the source file is not being deleted.
melvin
Site Admin

Return to Encryption/Decryption